e-petition 4190 closed February 7, 2023 with 36,175 signatures.
On February 13, 2023, petition e-4190 was presented to the House of Commons by NDP MP Alistair MacGregor (Cowichan—Malahat—Langford).
Petition to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food. Initiated by Jann Arden from Calgary, Alberta
- Live horses are shipped by air from Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg to Japan for human consumption as a raw delicacy;
- The journey from feedlots in Canada to those in Japan commonly takes more than 24 hours, and can lawfully take up to 28 hours, during which time horses are deprived of food, water, and rest;
- Horses panic easily, have strong fight or flight instincts, and have extremely sensitive hearing;
- Horses are flown from Canada to Japan in cramped wooden crates;
- Transport from Canada to Japan causes horses to experience significant stress and puts them at risk of injury, illness, and even death during transport;
- Since 2010, the NDP has introduced three private members’ bills in an effort to ban the live export of horses for slaughter;
- The Liberal Party of Canada committed to banning the live export of horses for slaughter in its September 1, 2021, election campaign platform;
- In his December 16, 2021, mandate letter to the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau directed the Minister to deliver on the commitment to “ban the live export of horses for slaughter;” and
- According to Statistics Canada, since September 2021, more than 2,000 horses have been shipped by air from Canada to Japan for slaughter for human consumption.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food to halt the live export of horses for slaughter, consistent with the Liberal Party of Canada’s 2021 election campaign commitment and the Minister’s December 16, 2021, mandate letter.